Classified as ancient building by Regione Veneto
Palazzo Folchi, now Hotel Grand’Italia, was built in 1909 on a design by the renowned architect PRIMO TERTULLIANO MIOZZO for Cav. Guglielmo Folchi. Unlike other buildings in the area, that were mostly zoned as both business and residential, the hotel was exclusively a aristocrat private home.
It was erected in a scenic spot, at the corner between Piazzale della Stazione and the Corso, at a time when there were no significant monuments in the area. In those days this historic palace was highly criticized and defined as barbarian or unspeakable, for Art Nouveau was not really appreciated then.
The fact is that the building is a great example of style “Liberty,” which was dear to the ruling class of the Popular Party for its original features different than the eclecticist style preferred by Padua conservatives at the time.
The building features a scenic corrugated corner perspective, inspired by balconies, porches and terraces whose curvilinear nimble intervals, together with figures and floral embellishments, convey the idea of new and youthful.
Wrought iron decorations by ADOLFO CALIGARIS on balconies and ironworks will forever be tied to the style “Liberty”. The recent restoration, made possible by the Cinel Family, has given the public the opportunity to view these original works that had been hidden for too long..